The Dunes Golf and Beach Club was but a dream for a group of leading Myrtle Beach citizens in the 1940s. On October 29, 1947, the first meeting was held to discuss the building of a recreational facility, which among other amenities would include a golf course. During the next several months, the citizens continued to work and dream about the building of the golf course.
On May 31, 1948, a meeting was held at Chapins Cabin to organize the corporation to build the club. Chapins Cabin, a small building located on the property near what is now the 11th tee, has been referred to as the Dunes Clubs first clubhouse.
A few weeks later on June 14, 1948, the first Board of Directors was established for the Dunes Golf and Beach Club. A Declaration for Charter was submitted to the Secretary of State of South Carolina. The charter was granted one week later on June 22, 1948.
On February 10, 1949, the Myrtle Beach Farms Company conveyed approximately 269.8 acres to the Dunes Golf and Beach Club for the sum of $10 and other valuable considerations. Two major conditions were attached to the conveyance: (1) a guarantee that within three years from the date of conveyance, an 18-hole golf course would be constructed on the premises and (2) the club operation would continue for a period of not less than 10 years. Both conveyances were met.
Construction began on the Dunes Club and on Saturday, October 22, 1949, nine holes opened for play. Today those holes are the back nine of the Dunes Golf and Beach Club. These holes were constructed first because of the difficult terrain. The second nine holes opened for play in December 1950.
On November 4, 1948, Jimmy DAngelo (also known as “Gentleman Jim”) became the first Head Professional at the Dunes Club. DAngelo was known for his commitment to promoting golf along the Grand Strand. His passing on May 18, 2000 was mourned throughout the local golf community.
Check out the incredible virtual tour : http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/DGB_dunesgolf/flyovers.html