Welcome to the 2018 United States Open week at Shinnecock Hills! The season’s second major championship is here, and it is shaping up to be one of the best tournaments of the year. With storylines swirling like Tiger Woods being back in the U.S. Open field, and Dustin Johnson jumping Justin Thomas to regain the World Number 1 ranking, the big question people are asking is, who are the favorites to win it?
Here are our top 5 picks to take home the U.S. Open trophy:
- Dustin Johnson. Is this really a surprise to anyone? The new world number one is coming off a sensational 6-shot victory at the FedEx St. Jude Classic, where he holed out for eagle on the 72nd hole of the tournament. The Coastal Carolina product is the outright favorite as he tries to win his second U.S. Open, having captured his first in 2016.
- Justin Rose. One of the most underrated players on the face of the earth right now, Rose enters this week on a hot streak. The two-time winner in 2018 has made all 11 cuts this year and is coming off a T6 finish at the Memorial Tournament. If the 2013 U.S. Open champion can find the fairway this week, he will be near the top the entire week.
- Justin Thomas. The 2017 PGA Championship winner just got knocked back down to the No. 2 spot in the Official World Golf Ranking, but that shouldn’t adversely affect Thomas this week. J.T. is rolling into Shinnecock riding some momentum from his two wins earlier in the year, and a T8 finish at the Memorial.
- Jason Day. He’s finally healthy, and there is nothing scarier than a healthy Jason Day. The 2015 PGA Championship winner is on quite a tear this year. With two wins under his belt, a T2 at Pebble Beach and a T5 at the Players, Day comes in as one of the safest picks this week.
- Rory McIlroy. Another player having a comeback year. Picking up a recent win at Arnie’s place, McIlroy is trying to regain some of the major championship mojo he used to win the 2011 U.S. Open. If Rory can get that putter going this week, he will be hard to beat.
The course is setting up to make this week one of the most grueling tests of golf these players have ever seen. Make sure you get everything done by Sunday so you get the chance to watch some exciting golf!
Give us a rough idea of what you’re looking for, and we’ll quote your perfect golf vacation at the best price. Once you’ve got your quote in hand, you can share it with your group, and customize it to fit your exact needs. We’ll respond to your request as quickly as possible, most within 24-48 hours. Let’s get started on your golf trip!